Research We investigate and develop theories, techniques and tools for modelling and analysing the behaviours of (concurrent) systems. Research focusses on process algebra, semantics, model checking, logics and satisfiability solving. Application areas include protocols, hardware designs, industrial control systems. Tools developed by the group include mCRL2 and MaDL. Read More…
Education We offer courses in Logic, Formal Methods, Model Checking and Automated Reasoning. We are always looking for enthusiastic people who are interested in a research project or thesis in our Master programme. Read More…
Starting on Juli 1, 2021 Tim Willemse took over the role of cluster leader of FSA from Jan Friso Groote who has been leader for more than 20 years.
On Friday July 2, 2021, our colleague Luca Aceto from Reykjavik University delivered an invited talk at LICS 2021 entitled In search of lost time: Axiomatising parallel composition in process algebras. An article with the …continue reading
In 2020, the article Off-the-shelf Automated Analysis of Liveness Properties for Just Paths by Mark Bouwman, Bas Luttik and Tim Willemse published as Acta Informatica 57:551-590. The article was recently presented at FORTE 2021; you …continue reading
The paper A Formalisation of SysML State Machines in mCRL2 by Mark Bouwman, Bas Luttik and Djurre van der Wal was presented at FORTE 2021, a workshop co-located with DisCoTec 2021. Both the paper and Mark Bouman’s …continue reading
Thomas Neele, who obtained his PhD under the supervision of Tim Willemse and Jan Friso Groote, won the award for the best dissertation of 2020 of the Dutch Research School IPA for his dissertation “Reductions …continue reading
- Colloquium 16 September 12.45 - 13.30, 2021, MS Teams. Rick Erkens: Regular tree languages and (dis)analogies with regular languages.
- MSc Defence 13 September 14.00 - 14.45, 2021, MS Teams. Anneke Huijsmans: Optimising parity game solvers using dynamic SCC maintenance.
- Colloquium 9 September 12.45 - 13.30, 2021, MS Teams. Maurice Laveaux: On The Fly Solving for Symbolic Parity Games.
- MSc Defence 16 August 14.15 - 15.00, 2021, Atlas 8.340. Jasper Stam: Formal verification of an industrial PLC program in Function Block Diagram and Structured Text.
- Colloquium 8 July 12.45 - 13.30, 2021, MS Teams. Yousra Hafidi: On starvation freedom property of Peterson’s mutual exclusion algorithm for more than 2 processes.
- Colloquium 1 July 12.45 - 13.30, 2021, MS Teams. Herman Geuvers: “Computer Assisted Mathematical Proofs: using the computer to verify computers”.
- Colloquium 17 June 12.45 - 13.30, 2021, MS Teams. Olav Bunte: Asynchronously communicating OIL components.
- Colloquium 3 June 12.45 - 13.30, 2021, MS Teams. Jeroen Keiren: Understanding Mutual Exclusion Algorithms using mCRL2’s counterexamples.